(Laurel Advocacy & Referral Service)
Contact:Â Helen Harrington
LARS is an ecumenical ministry serving the Greater Laurel area that assists homeless and low-income individuals or families in crisis with both emergency and long-term services. LARS retains professional social workers, counselors, paid staff, social work students, and volunteers to provide assistance to clients who come to them through referrals from the religious community, former clients, and self-referrals.
LARS is located at 311 Laurel Ave., Laurel, MD 20707. Those needing assistance may call 301-776-0442 to make an appointment.
Emergency services include:
- Providing food, shelter, eviction prevention, utility cutoff prevention, transportation, prescriptions, and clothing for persons in crisis;
- Providing counseling, budgeting assistance, and dealing with emotional and spiritual issues.
Long-term services include:
- Providing transitional housing, life-skills workshops, and employment training (with job placement);
- Providing services to veterans, children and adolescents;
- Providing advocacy with federal, state and local government agencies.
How can you help?
- Support fundraisers held by LARS. Watch for notices regarding fundraisers in the Grapevine or Sounds of Our Savior.
- Become a member of the LARS board and get involved in their community projects
- Check with the congregational representative,Â Helen Harrington