Director of Music Ministry
Our Savior Lutheran Church of Laurel, Maryland, seeks a musically gifted, strong Christian leader with a passion for music as an integral part of worshipping the Lord to serve as the full-time Director of Music Ministry. Our Savior is looking for a person of high character and integrity, who communicates well, appreciates the Lutheran tradition, and relates well to and loves God’s people, to oversee, plan, coordinate, and implement its music ministry. The Director of Music Ministry works under the supervision of the Senior Pastor.
Our Savior’s mission is to know the unconditional love of God in Jesus Christ, to grow in our relationships with God and with others, and to go and share this good news in both word and deed. Worship is an essential part of all three parts of this mission, as the Lord uses it to inspire and edify people for the His work. Our Savior has a long history of musical excellence in traditional and contemporary worship settings, regularly incorporating music from around the world that reflects the diversity of the congregation. Our Savior has three worship services on Sundays: 8:15 a.m, traditional hymn music, 10:45 a.m. contemporary praise music, and 1:00 p.m. West African music. Our current music ministry includes a 30-voice adult choir, a youth choir (grades 7-12), 2 children’s choirs, a praise team, a handbell choir, instrumental ensembles, a Moeller Pipe Organ, and a grand piano.
- Provide spiritual leadership, guidance, nurturing, and support to participants in the Music Ministry.
- Serve as organist for weekly traditional services and/or director of Praise Team, depending on applicant’s specific skills and experience.
- Direct or provide oversight of all choirs, to include recruiting members, teaching vocal techniques, helping members understand how the music relates to God and worship, and leading prayer.
- Collaborate with pastoral staff and Worship Administrator in planning worship; and choose congregational songs, hymns, and choral/instrumental music to enhance worship services.
- Supervise part-time contract and volunteer music leaders.
- Provide musical leadership for special events such as Christmas concerts and other special worship services including midweek Advent and Lenten services, as well as other special services such as weddings and funerals.
- Attend weekly staff meetings to coordinate the various ministries of the congregation.
- Provide administrative leadership for the Music Ministry including budgeting, oversight of music library, instrument maintenance, and copyright compliance and coordination.
- A degree (advanced degree preferred) in music with specialization in choral conducting or the equivalent in experience.
- Experience as a director of church music program with leadership and administrative responsibility for multiple choirs, musical ensembles, and choral and instrumental conducting.
- Experience in both traditional and contemporary worship.
- Spiritual strength, wisdom, and commitment to following Jesus Christ as Lord and a commitment to leading others to know, grow, and go with Him as their Lord as well.
- Skill in recruiting, planning, and conducting adult choirs in both traditional and contemporary praise styles.
- Choral conducting and keyboard/organ skills.
- Leadership abilities with all age groups, including older adults and children.
Our Savior provides compensation based on education and experience, commensurate with other churches with similar positions. Our Savior offers a benefits package including health and life insurance, vacation, sick pay, and retirement benefits.
Application Process (provide the following)
- Cover Letter
- Three references
- Brief personal statement of faith
- Description of the role of music in worship and how music has influenced your own spiritual growth
- Video or recording of playing or conducting a hymn, an anthem, and a praise song
After reviewing applications, select candidates will be interviewed. Finalists will be invited to conduct a rehearsal with the Sanctuary Choir and Praise Team.
Please send all materials to OSLCmusicdirector@gmail.com.